Sunday, October 06, 2002

I-85 extension planned

Wow, an actual road to nowhere! I-85 currently ends at Montgomery; the state wants to extend it to intersect I-20/59 near the Mississippi line. This would theoretically give an economic boost to the southwestern part of the state, which is dreadfully poor. And that's great, except there's nothing there. If for some reason you do have to go to some godforsaken place like Selma, it'll be much faster. (I had to go to Selma once and I swear it took three weeks. Martin Luther King didn't want to march from Selma to Montgomery, it just turned out that driving would take too long. But I kid Selma.)

The story is that companies look for locations near the interstate. And I suppose that's true. But they also look for a nearby population of workers and, you know, cities. There aren't any. That part of the state is one of the lowest-population parts of the US east of the Mississippi. If someone builds a plant, who's going to work there?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment


<< Home