Monday, September 16, 2002

You know, I never used to reflexively disbelieve anything the government said. Not even when Reagan was President. (I'm too young to really remember Nixon's presidency.) But after the "dirty bomber" and the attempts to tie unrelated issues to 9-11, the raging dishonesty about Social Security and the Bush economic theory that holds cutting taxes on rich people is the answer to all problems and what you do when there are no problems...

Well, they lost me. I'm in reflexively-disagree mode and I will be until they prove they can be trusted. I don't mind disinformation in a war -- I'd be upset if they didn't do that. But what I see is a pattern of lying and obfuscation for domestic political consumption. Nothing going on in the War on Terror? Well, announce the capture of the guy we've been holding for six months! We want to cooperate with our allies, but here are some tariffs on European goods! Fidel Castro is building weapons of mass destruction!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment


<< Home