Thursday, September 19, 2002

Stoiber steps up populism as poll looms

Meanwhile, possible alien being Edmund Stoiber says he would never allow the US to launch "unilateral" attacks on Iraq from German soil. On the other hand, he seems open to it under UN sanction. Which makes sense to me, even if saying it costs me my warblogger street cred. I'm not saying that I necessarily agree with him on the need for an attack (as I've said before, I think we'll have to fight Saddam eventually, and I'd rather do it before he has nuclear weapons) but it seems to me that we should at least make the case to the Germans if we're going to use their airspace. I don't think we will, anyway.

Stoiber is certainly not as reflexively anti-American as the comedy team of Schröder and Fischer, who apparently wouldn't allow an attack on Iraq to operate from Germany even with UN sanction. In other words, they've acting unilaterally.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment


<< Home