Monday, August 12, 2002

USS Clueless - An act of faith

It's apparently Anonymity Day in the blogosphere. My two cents:

Atrios says that he stays anonymous in part because of employment reasons, that his current or future employers might not appreciate what he says online. I think that's a valid concern. Den Beste is being a little naive here, thinking all that Demosthenes is worried about is social ostracism or losing friends. If I find myself in a situation where I have to choose between this website and my job, I have to take my job. And then I'll start publishing anonymously.

I considered being anonymous here, but decided against it. In large part that's because I've been publishing on the Internet since I was a student (and hence not open to immediate economic retribution). Of course, most of that was on baseball or entertainment, not politics. But I've rarely even used forum handles; I almost always use my name even in places where almost everyone else uses a pseudonym. At some stage I decided that handles -- like, say, "A.G. Android" -- were kind of silly, and so I don't use them.

Plus I like seeing my name on the screen. So sue me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment


<< Home